January 7, 2013

A Good Day

Ah, what a wonderful day. 


Actually, I should explain why this day is good first. Something about me is that, while I love Australia, I love it more when Australia fails in sport. Australia prides itself on being a 'sporting nation', and so professional athletes are lauded to almost hero status in the media. So whenever an Australian wins something, you never hear the end of it! When Cadel Evans won the Tour de France a few years back someone who had the audacity to suggest that he was not a national hero was flooded with hate mail. Yes, because being good at riding a bike certainly makes one a worthy role model.

So whether it's Australia failing at the swimming in the 2012 Olympics or Australia ever losing a tennis match, you can be sure that I'm there, laughing at the sidelines. I seriously cannot remember the last time that I have wanted an Australian to win a sporting event.

So you should realise just how pleased I was today when Australia lost all four of the tennis matches they played in the Apia International. Yes, even Aussie icon Sam Stosur lost to my new favourite tennis player (as if I had an old one) Zheng Jie. And two of them they looked like they were going to win. Ha ha ha.

If schadenfreude is the lowest form of pleasure, I don't want to hear about it. Because this certainly made my day. 


Thank you for giving the media nothing to report about tomorrow.

Have a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment